Saturday, May 22, 2010

Taekwondo for Autism

For a few weeks now John and I have been participating in an autism-related project. I have been around people with autism and disabilities my whole life, since my Mom is the head of the Southwest Autism Network. They recently put together a "peer-group" activity for adults with autism in which they are able to work side-by-side with people who don't have autism (me and John). This particular project is a Taekwondo class. We all meet at a dance studio every Saturday afternoon and participate in an hour long class, led by Logan, a black belt in Taekwondo. We take turns holding bags so the other can punch, kick and do combinations. It is a great way for the people with autism to get into a routine, follow direction, get a workout, and have fun with peers! It has been so fun, and feels really rewarding at the end of the day.

Here is what the studio looks like:



There are curtains that can be pulled to cover the mirrors in case it proves too distracting, and a "break area" over to the left when things get a little overwhelming. You can also see a board against the wall that has Velcro for pictures showing which step is next, (Bow in, warm up, stretch, punch etc) something that is really helpful for the people with autism.

I couldn't think of a better way to spend our Saturdays, and it feels really amazing to be helping out the autism community!

3 comments:

  1. That seems like an amazing project, Val. Did you know that my entire teaching career in the U.S. was in special ed?

    Glad you are getting used to insomnia. The bed is really small here, it must be only a double (or less). So I have had many sleepless nights. :>)
    Cathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did know that actually! (from your blog I think) I have had sleepless nights since I was a teen, so hopefully I'm used to it by now!

    ReplyDelete