Monday, July 27, 2009

Inflatable Art and Other Trials of Monday

For a site-specific project, John and I decided to make a giant inflatable rubber duck, and float it in the duck pond at UNM. We cleared this idea with our teacher on Friday. We come in today ready to brainstorm and make a pattern, when I look over and see someone else sketching a duck. Great. We were already seriously irritable, and did not want to give up our idea. John tells them that we cleared it with her on Friday so too bad pick something else. I watched them for awhile and they were all huffy and being ridiculous about it. I decided to just give it up and do something else. I went over to them and said "Have you guys thought of anything else? You can just do the duck" and the girl says, "Actually, we were thinking of doing a guy with a gun shooting your duck" me: "... um...why don't you guys just do the duck it's fine..." BAH! I was about ready to sock her one. and the guy says, "There's nothing that says there can't be two ducks in the duck pond" me: "Whatever. we're doing something different."

So we decide to come up with something else amazing and think of a huge spider/web in the staircase, that forces you to walk in/under it. We sketch it all out, plan everything and tell our teacher. "Uh no they won't let you put anything in the stairs; fire hazard" me: "!%$&^*"
After assaulting the stairway wall a little bit, we decided to put the web on the second floor in this giant skylight, and having the spider wrapping up the Pepsi machine like prey.

Oh yeah, it turns out that they aren't doing a duck anyways. Yeah.

Pictures of the installation process and project to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment