Friday, July 31, 2009

Portraits of Dead Dogs and Other Waiting Room Sagas

A hospital waiting room is really something. We spent 15 hours in the hospital on Wednesday, more than half of those hours in the waiting room. It was a hub-bub of activity all day long. I never knew so many people received surgery on Wednesdays.

Somehow I was enlisted to draw a portrait of the receptionists' dead dog. She wanted me to do a lot more, a whole family portrait of dogs and her, but I just did not have the energy. One Scotty portrait was enough.

Having never drawn a dog before (I guess I never really had the need). I was suitably nervous.
Progress shot, after spending an hour or two procrastinating on the eye.
Another progress shot, looking pretty good. Somewhere between these two shots entailed a hospital lunch, a soda, and much obsessing.


Aaaaaand... Done. She absolutely loved it, and said it looked just like him. I was then enlisted to do a portrait of her dead friend with the dead dog, and a few live ones. Oh, and her too. And she is going to pay me! This will be the first "paid commission" I will have ever done. How strange life is. I definitely didn't expect to get a paid art job while waiting for my sister to be out of surgery. But, why not? We'll see how it works out.
The receptionist woman also mentioned that Disney would offer me a job in a heartbeat, as they did with her dead friend (the one who I'm drawing) who had skills like mine. It got me thinking: If I were to be offered a job, working as an artist for Disney in Orlando, would I go? Would I accept getting paid for my art, giving up my dreams of Hungary and travel? The answer, I quickly came to realize, is no. Simply no. This has been what I have wanted for so long. Even a dream job like working for Disney won't derail that.
So there you have it. Not only can I mend your clothes, I can memorialize your dead pet on UNM hospital letterhead paper. Oh, and install a Saran Wrap spiderweb in your home. If you should ever have need for it. Which, really when you think about it, why shouldn't you??

No comments:

Post a Comment