Thursday, July 16, 2009

Why Hungary?




A lot of people have been asking me lately, "Why Hungary?" Well, my laziness sometimes prompts me to reply "Why not Hungary?" But of course that isn't what anyone wants to hear. So here it is. Val, why on earth did you choose Hungary? Well, the answer is that while on the job hunt I found a program called CETP- Central European Teaching Program. I wanted to teach in Europe at some point, and the EU is making it harder and harder for Americans to do so. Basically it is getting to the point where it is now or never. They can hire Brits to teach English with little to no paperwork, while Americans have to have a visa, jump through hoops, have money, jump through more hoops, etc etc. It's so much easier to hire a British person.

Sooo, what does all this have to do with me? and with Hungary? Hungary was inducted into the EU in 2004 I believe. Things aren't quite as straightened out there as they should be. They are still using their national currency, the Hungarian Forint, not the Euro. There are many other inconsistencies to be ironed out, so therefore it is still possible for Americans to get teaching jobs there, and it is made even easier through CETP. They make contact with the school, find you a place to live, take you to immigration, etc etc.

So there you have it. That's why.
(By the way, tomorrow is my birthday!)

No comments:

Post a Comment