Saturday, August 22, 2009

Dreams of Underwater Cities


I had the most beautiful dream last night. It's slipping away so fast, I'm typing as fast as I can to preserve it's beauty.

I was at Eldorado (my old high school) going to a French class. My teacher wasn't there, so we were all just sitting there. A lot of people I knew from high school were there, and this guy started telling me how there is this internet thing going around now saying "Babysan sucks, Sam rules" or "Babysan dumb, Sam smart". It was something really stupid like that. I obviously knew that Sam had done this and he walked by the open classroom right as we were all talking about this. He threatened the guy I was talking to and went to his class, which was up this green mountain. I could see him walking up the path. He was saying all this horrible stuff about me and the guy I was with, and John. And so I finally craned my neck outside and started shouting insults at him. He was saying bad things about my fashion sense, "Black shirts and jeans, which I bought for her? Come on.." (which is so not what I wear...) So he was getting angrier and angrier and he had a helicopter, and he started bringing it around next to the classroom, and the blades started cutting into the room. I fell backwards and thought my head had been cut off, but I was ok. I ran out into these beautiful gardens, where I was trying to find a hiding place with my dad. I kept changing where I was hiding. There were these green houses, and I kept running from one to another, my dad was getting angry. Then this moose saw us, and was threatening to charge. If the moose did this, it would call so much attention to us that Sam would see us for sure. So my dad wanted me to stay still but I just tried to run to the other greenhouse. The moose started charging as my Dad tried to follow me. I said "Jump!" to try and get him from one greenhouse to the other but he got stuck in these ropes. The moose was in the ropes too, and it was wrapping my Dad up. He said "I'm going to die, right here!" And I said "Dad, come on, you aren't going to die." And then the moose came after me. I ran out where there was a stream, and I knew I needed to jump in. But then I saw Sam, he was with someone else, and he was getting in the stream too. So I tried very quietly to float on my back, and swim away from where they were. "Dig Ophelia" by Rasputina was playing. It was terribly appropriate.

Dig Ophelia Consider it dug,
Flower madness and polar bear rug
Here's the water just ankle deep high
Lay back, relax and look up at the sky

Your eyes never close,
Your mind's not at rest
Lay back get waterlogged,
Give us a kiss.

Water spreads the small seed
Water kills the tall weed
Ophelia

Cut the stem and we'll see how you feel,
Floating orchids just aint no big deal,
Never knowing's like knowing too much
Tap the table now here's more bad luck

Your eyes never close,
Your mind's not at rest
Lay back get waterlogged
Give us a kiss.

Water spreads the small seed
and Water kills the tall weed
Ophelia

I figured that I should probably just lay back relax and look up at the sky and so I let the current take me. I hit a water fall/water slide. I tried to relax and just let it take me. When I got to the bottom, there were steps leading down, like there used to be a castle there or something, that had flooded. I had a lantern and kept going deeper and deeper in. The water was chin-deep now, but I kept going. I let myself slip beneath the water, and to my astonishment, I could breathe just fine. I came up above water in disbelief, and submerged myself again just to see if I really could breathe. I could. I saw that there was sort of a room or bar where a lot of people were underwater. I passed some sort of a threshold where "the water went from smooth to soft, and the fish fins became smooth and disappeared" it was terrible poetic. This line kept cycling. When I passed this threshold, I was in this beautiful, sparkling city (more of a town really). Everything was bright and illuminated, palely colorful. I decided to swim into the bar and when I did, a band began to play and the whole room started in on it. I had seen that they just did this for me, so I was concerned that maybe these people were evil. I acted like I was leaving but really just perched myself atop of some underwater trees. Sure enough, as soon as I left, they stopped playing this music and returned to normal, chatting and the like. I was suspicious but tried to shake off these feelings while I was in the trees, overlooking the town.

I got down because I saw things for sale, and I bought something called "A thousand color jacket" Something so bright and illuminated, the locals called it the "Grandeur Defier" (I'm not sure why). I knew that down in this underwater city I could be bright, cast off my black clothes and be illuminated. I was walking and/or swimming around when this woman approached me. Somehow I told her who I was and she just said "oh dear lord" or something and turned away from me. I was afraid that I was bad for them. But then people began to gather and gawk at me. It was revealed who I was and they told me that I was the sole ancestor of all these people. When I crossed the threshold I had entered a place that was stuck in sped up time, generations and generation reproducing while the world outside trudged along dully. I looked around at all of the citizens, trying to see my face in each one of them. I was somewhat of a myth to them, and my arrival was very important. The old woman from before came and gave me a necklace, a vial with sparkling fluid in it. I put it around my neck. She said something along the lines of "Now that will cure your thyroid cancer". I then realized that all of what had happened had led me down here, so I could get this magic vial from my descendants. I marveled at the way life works out sometimes before I thanked them and left, once again crossing the threshold. Things weren't so shimmery anymore, and the fish went from smooth, sparkly and finless, to grey and sad, fins intact. I had a doll now, I don't know why. I think I had bought her in the underwater descendant city. I emerged above water in the gardens again, where I was to fall down a water fall/slide. I knew that something needed to change after this beautiful experience, so I vowed that I would read to my doll every day, who was now alive. We slid together down the falls into the pool below, where my doll needed to administer the sparkling dust from my necklace. How this is done is by blowing into one end of it while pointing it at the person intended for the cure, and the sparkling dust poofs into their face. So my doll had the necklace and she was just about to do it, when something distracted her and she turned, blowing the shimmering powder into the face of a young boy wading in the water nearby. I was in shock, as my one chance at having my thyroid cancer cured, this magic dust destined for me and given to me by hordes of my descendants, was gone. Just like that. I hadn't even known anything was wrong.

So now, what does this one mean? I think this would make an amazing graphic novel... (add one project to my ever-growing list of unfinished business) Anyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment