Monday, August 31, 2009

Nostalgique

Today as I was trying to braid my hair in the mirror (unsuccessfully I might add) in the old bathroom that used to be me and my sister's in my dad's house, a familiar feeling of nostalgia washed over me. I thought of how many times I had washed up in that bathroom, taken baths as a baby, tried on makeup as a teenager, cried after a bad day. The floor is now partially strewn with my niece's bath toys, the shower curtain has changed, and my stuff no longer crowds the counter top.
Things change in such an interesting way.
I spend a lot of my time being nostalgic or looking towards the future. Longing for times past, remembering songs I listened to or people I knew, places I've been. Fantasizing about where I will be a year from now, what I will be seeing, who I will know, what new experiences will thrill and frustrate me. I desperately hold onto memories, yet reach just at desperately at memories not yet made. I must reconcile the two and live somewhere in the here and now. Oh, who am I kidding. I'm a dreamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment